Shop Online for Homeschooling Supplies and Help NLSV!

Click here to visit Learning Things - The Education Store

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Call the Optometrist

Aengus and I were watching the Transformers movie the other day. Again. It's a really good movie, but I've seen it enough, thank you.

Now, Aengus is a tough little guy. He rarely cries, unless he's really hurt. Every now and then he'll get upset enough, though, that he has an episode of what he calls his "eye problem." This is when his eyes "inexplicably" tear up, even though he's just fine.

"I don't know why my eyes do that, Mom. They just do. It's not like I'm crying or anything."

Yeah, ok, tough guy. Whatever.

So we're watching this movie, and at the point when Aengus's favorite guy (Bumblebee) is taken down, Aengus usually turns away or leaves the room or is suddenly very interested in whatever happens to be in his hands. It's a sad scene, done in slo-mo with mournful music. But he's a robot, for chrissake.

This time, Aengus stays on the sofa, watching intently as Bumblebee fights for his life. He catches me watching him wiping his eyes and says, "It's my eye problem again."

"It sure is sad when Bumblebee gets caught, isn't it?"

"Yeah. But he doesn't die, at least."

"If a person felt sad enough to cry about it, though, that would be OK. In fact, the director would be happy about that, since that is what he's trying to do: get you so involved in the movie that it really touches you."

"Yeah. But I don't cry. I just have this eye problem."

Sigh. Where did this kid come from?

1 comment:

momof3feistykids said...

Oh Aengus! You're only 7 ... it's O.K. to cry. Of course, James is in love with the Transformers movie, too. I am SO done with that movie!!! :-D