Shop Online for Homeschooling Supplies and Help NLSV!

Click here to visit Learning Things - The Education Store

Monday, July 23, 2007

SPOILER-Filled Deathly Hallows Post

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Alright, here we go:

1) The Deathly Hallows themselves were a totally unexpected plot twist. Who would have thought JKR would add an all-new sub-plot when she had so many other plot points to resolve? But she did it, and it managed to be important and make sense. I'm still a little fuzzy on how the Elder Wand came to be Draco's, but I'm sure it will become clear upon re-reading.

2) I was really touched by how much Dobby's death affected Harry. I especially liked that he dug Dobby's grave Muggle-style.

3) Holy action, Batman! This baby's packed with battles throughout, not just a biggie at the end. I wasn't prepared for that. What an awesome movie this will make!

4) Speaking of the movie... Something tells me this one will be difficult for the filmmakers to keep at PG-13. And if they do get an R rating, I'm looking forward to a naked Dan Radcliffe!!!

5) Filled with action...and humor. Rowling was smart to include so much comic relief, since this episode is so stressful to read. Another characteristic that will make it an excellent movie. I was laughing out loud many times.

6) Ron and Hermione's liplock was perfect timing in its imperfect timing. Hysterical at a moment when tensions were super-high.

7) I was just starting to be disappointed with the lack of Snape through the meat of the story. But when he did reappear...yowza! I was happy to read that though he's not a nice guy, he really was on our side the whole time. Having Harry forgive him (and, in fact, honor him) in the end was good for our hero's soul, IMO.

8) I cried the most when I read about Fred, Lupin, and Tonks. Don't tell me there isn't room for another few books there: Teddy loses his parents as an infant and has The Boy Who Lived as his godfather? I smell a sequel!

9) Killing Hedwig, particularly so early in the story, was just plain vicious. What did she ever do to you, Jo? OK, so she would have been a pain for Harry to carry all around England all year. And yes, having his Firebolt and owl would have made things too easy for our hero. Still... It was just mean.

10) I would have liked to have seen a good liplock for Harry and Ginny there at the end of the Battle of Hogwarts. Knowing they are together and happy after 19 years is nice, but I wanted to see the reconcilliation.

11) I was actually kinda disappointed Harry didn't spend more time at Hogwarts. We see very little of the school and its culture in this book, which is good storytelling IMO, but I still missed it.

12) And finally... I was shocked and dismayed when Ron walked out on Harry. What the hell was that?! I know it furthered the plot and gave them all more information when he came back, but I was devastated when he left. I couldn't believe it happened. Well, "shocked" was pretty much how I felt most of the way through the book, to be honest.

I'm sure I'll be expounding on my opinions sporadically over the next few weeks. A few more read-throughs should do the trick.

Still wondering what's going to fill this hole in my life...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Elder Wand is Draco's because of what happened in Book 6 - Dumbledore was the master of the Elder Wand until Draco disarmed Dumbledore with "Expelliarmus" at the topmost tower of Hogwarts after Dumbledore and Harry returned from getting the locket in the lake in the cave.

That's what I've loved during this series - there's a reason for everything. :)