Shop Online for Homeschooling Supplies and Help NLSV!

Click here to visit Learning Things - The Education Store

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Plans for "7th Grade"

First and foremost, I hate the idea of placing homeschooled kids in grade levels. Grades and classes are ways of organizing groups of children. I have two kids here, so I think I can keep straight what they're doing without having to section them off.

And when you start talking about grade levels for purposes of academic placement (i.e., what level of work the student can handle), then I say the idea is capricious -- every publisher's idea of grade-appropriate material is different from every other curriculum producer.

So I cringe when I say that I'm planning "7th grade" work for Noah. I mean, yes, he would be in 7th grade were he in school. But his work is not going to be what is labelled "7th grade," and materials that are not "grade appropriate" will certainly be used. Homeschooling is about the freedom to learn anything and everything, unhindered by the limits set by grade levels.

The only reason I'm labelling him anything is because I'm thinking ahead to high school and college. I want to make sure he can get everything in according to his own plans for community college/high school (dual enrollment) followed by a year or two of real life, community service, and travel. It's all starting to "matter" as far as colleges are concerned, so my planning is getting more formal (as is Noah's "school time" each day).

So in the spirit of pretending to have my act together, here are my intentions for the upcoming year:

1. Have Noah write his goals for the upcoming year. These are (in his own words):
-Master Algebra
- Read at least 20 books
- Get better at spelling
- Learn more about American history
- Get a lot better at cooking
- Learn to play guitar

II. Create a list of sub-goals, steps needed to achieve main goals.

C. Have Noah create a more specific list to include concrete steps to be taken, materials to be used (if known), and any deadlines for completion. Also have him write what stumbling blocks he may encounter and how he will deal with them. Mom translates these into daily and/or weekly goals.

Quatro: Create a routine to institute to achieve each day's/week's goals. Include one-on-one time with Mom each day that does not include work.

5. Keep paperwork and a journal of activities throughout the year.

OK, you out there: no laughing. I know this sounds crazy. But Noah wants to focus on his academics, and he's asked me to keep him on track.

I'll let you know if we last more than the first week.

“Instead, because of the traditional roles and structure of schools in our society, and in spite of the efforts of many well-meaning individuals within the school system, school is simply yet another place where students have no control, where others’ values are imposed on them, where they are forced to submit to others’ will and yield up their individuality.” ~Holly Graff, former public school teacher, in her resignation letter

No comments: