Shop Online for Homeschooling Supplies and Help NLSV!

Click here to visit Learning Things - The Education Store

Sunday, June 3, 2007

School Starts Tomorrow

I know, I know. Most of you either don't have "school days" separated from "real life days" or are still working on finishing off this year. But on his own Noah has decided to start "next year" now. He took a 3-week Runescape vacation, and tomorrow he's jumping back into schoolwork.

His list of goals for this year are (and I quote): "1) Master Algebra; 2) Read at least 20 books; 3)Get beter at spelling; 4) Learn more about Amarican history; 5) Get a lot beter at cooking." OK, so there's room for improvement. But for Noah, this is astoundingly academic. Bravo!

I have to admit that these last few weeks have seen some leaps in his development. He's still an ass to me sometimes and a complete dick to his brother most of the time and he's one more pissing contest away from a smack-down from Dad. But all that has been balanced lately with bouts of maturity and responsibility. His desire to start schoolwork is part of this; he's been focused on academics and college preparations lately.

Fart jokes one second, college transcripts the next.

All I have to say is this: Unschoolers, be encouraged. Though we only totally unschooled for one year, we have always been more relaxed in our approach to learning. I'm in the Moore's Better-Late-Than-Early camp, so I struggled not to push him along, even though it's eaten me up to have him not interested in anything but video games.

But finally! It's happened: he's ready now for more academic endeavors. Just like all the unschoolers said: "Trust him to learn, and he will." I believe, Lawd, I believe!

Can I get a witness?!

2 comments:

momof3feistykids said...

Count me as a witness! GO Noah!!!

Cerwydwyn said...

It's me, tome girl, again...I really love your blog. You're funny and down -to-earth and as the mother of a Runescape junky...okay, as a former and soon-to-be-resurrected Runescape junky myself ;), I can relate to a lot of it.
Originally I looked because I saw that you are from Elkton where I once almost took a job working for an old man who owned a cattle ranch. He was crazy and I fear, a pervert, so I wound up passing on the massive $250 a week + horse feed that he was going to pay me (single mother of 3!). Anyway. I'm a fan.